My late sister, A, used to say that someone had “book greed” or “major book greed” when he or she bought a bunch of books. (A was no stranger to book greed).
Today the Mojowoman & I had to go out to the local Dollar Tree to get a new spiral notebook for our older daughter. Our daughter draws nonstop, so she goes through paper like nobody’s business.
I went down the office supplies aisle, but was distracted by the books. By the time we went out of Dollar Tree, we were the owners of eleven new books – nine for me, two for the Mojowoman.
Here was my haul –
- Back to Blood by Tom Wolfe (the only fiction that we bought),
- The Magical Stranger – A Son’s Journey Into His Father’s Life by Stephen Rodrick,
- Bargain Fever – How to Shop in a Discounted World by Mark Ellwood,
- Hollywood Hypocrites – The Devastating Truth About Obama’s Biggest Backers by Jason Mattera,
- The Deserters – A Hidden History of World War II by Charles Glass,
- The Eastern Stars – How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris by Mark Kuransky,
- This Love is Not For Cowards – Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juarez by Robert Andrew Powell,
- Class A Baseball in the Middle of Everywhere by Lucas Mann, &
- League of Denial – The NFL, Concussions, and The Battle for Truth by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru
In my humble opinion, the 5th book on deserters during World War II was the real find. It’s been on my reading list for a long time. No doubt I’ll be blogging on some of these books before long.
The Mojowoman controlled herself better than I did. Her two books are –
- Prophet’s Prey – My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints by Sam Brower, &
- Shadows on The Gulf – A Journey Through Our Last Great Wetland by Rowan Jacobsen.
Eleven new books for eleven bucks – can’t beat it with a stick.
Oh yes, we got so excited over the books that we forgot to buy the spiral notebook for our daughter. So, we’ll be back…